Introduction to Azure DevOps REST APIs
The Azure DevOps REST APIs allow you to access and integrate the capabilities of Azure DevOps from your programs and scripts. With the REST APIs, you can manage, automate, and extend DevOps capabilities programmatically.
What is Azure DevOps?
Azure DevOps is a Microsoft product that provides developer services for enabling teams to plan, collaborate, and deliver software applications. It supports Scrum, Kanban, and other Agile processes. Some key Azure DevOps services include:
- Azure Repos – Unlimited, cloud-hosted private Git repos for your project code
- Azure Pipelines – Build, test, and deploy pipelines for continuous integration and delivery
- Azure Boards – Agile tools for planning and tracking work
- Azure Test Plans – Manual and exploratory testing tools
Overview of Azure DevOps REST APIs
The Azure DevOps REST APIs are organized into functional areas called resource providers. Some key resource providers include:
- Core – Basic resources like projects, teams, users
- Git – Source code repositories
- Build and Release – Build and release pipelines
- Extension Management – Manage extensions
The APIs are standard REST APIs that use HTTP requests like GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE. Responses are in JSON format. Authentication uses OAuth 2.0.
Benefits of Using the REST APIs
Here are some benefits of using the Azure DevOps REST APIs:
- Automation – Automate DevOps processes by triggering actions from scripts or programs
- Customization – Build custom extensions and integrations for Azure DevOps
- Dashboards – Create custom dashboards and visualizations using DevOps data
- Reporting – Generate reports for better visibility and analytics
- Portability – Access Azure DevOps data from diverse platforms and tools
Common Use Cases
Here are some common use cases for the Azure DevOps REST APIs:
- Integrate Azure DevOps with other systems like CRM, HR, ERP etc.
- Create custom dashboards and visualizations
- Embed Azure DevOps functions in other applications
- Automate and customize deployments
- Build bots and virtual agents
- Migrate data in/out of Azure DevOps
Getting Started with the REST APIs
Here are the key steps to get started with the Azure DevOps REST APIs:
- Obtain a personal access token – This provides authentication to access the APIs
- Review the API reference – Understand the resource providers, endpoints, request formats etc.
- Start building your application – Make API calls, process responses, handle errors etc.
- Test and debug – Thoroughly test your application and APIs. Handle errors gracefully.
With their versatility and ubiquitous access, the Azure DevOps REST APIs open up many possibilities for customization and integration. They provide a programmable gateway to access DevOps capabilities from virtually any platform and environment.
The Azure DevOps REST APIs enable you to leverage the power of Azure DevOps programmatically. Whether you want to automate processes, build custom extensions, generate reports, or integrate with other systems, the REST APIs provide an easy on-ramp. With a basic understanding of REST and JSON, you can quickly get started building your own Azure DevOps apps and scripts. So unlock the potential of Azure DevOps by integrating it into your programs with the REST APIs!