Looking for a quick, delicious treat the whole family will love? These classic rice krispie squares are a nostalgic favorite for both kids and adults. With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of these crispy, marshmallow-y bars in no time.
Rice krispie squares: Ingredients
- 1⁄4 cup butter or margarine
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
Rice krispie squares: Directions
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter or margarine.
- Add the marshmallows and stir constantly until completely melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract (if using).
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal and mix well until completely coated.
- Using a lightly buttered spatula, press the mixture evenly into a buttered 13×9” pan.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
For an even faster shortcut, you can make these in the microwave:
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the butter to melt, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add the marshmallows and microwave 1-1.5 minutes, stirring every 45 seconds, until smooth when stirred.
- Follow steps 3-6 above.
Fun Addition Ideas
Jazz up your rice krispie treats with fun additions like:
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Crushed candy canes
- Dried fruit
Let your imagination run wild!
Perfect for Parties or Gifts
These classic bars are a hit at parties, potlucks, and other gatherings. They also make a thoughtful homemade gift for teachers, neighbors, or family. Kids love helping make them too.
Whip up a batch soon for a fun, delicious treat the whole family is sure to love!