German prosecutors on Friday charged a 95-year-old guy with over 36,000 counts of accessory to murder his alleged period as a Nazi concentration camp guard during World War II.
The allegations against the accused, identified only as Hans H., fear atrocities committed at the Mauthausen camp in Austria, the Berlin public prosecutor’s office said in a statement.
Hans H. is thought to have belonged to the SS-Totenkopfsturmbann (Death’s Head Battalion) involving summer 1944 and spring 1945 in Mauthausen, portion of the Nazis’ vast network of concentration camps where inmates were forced to do slave labor.
Prosecutors assert that by working as a guard in the website, the accused led to tens of thousands of captive deaths.
Throughout his time in the camp, at 36,223 offenders died. Guards participate in killings by gasoline, deadly injections, gunfire and other ways, while a lot more inmates perished of hunger or frostbite,” prosecutors said.
“The accused is thought to have been conscious of all of the ways of killing and the devastating living conditions of the offenders,” their statement said.
“It is thought that he understood those means of killing were utilized against a high amount of individuals and they might only be killed this manner, with this amount of regularity, when the victims had been safeguarded by men and women like him”
A total of 200,000 individuals were held in Mauthausen, half of whom died prior to the camp’s liberation by US troops in May 1945.
A Berlin court must now determine if the situation against Hans H. could move.
Germany has been rushing to place on trial residing SS employees, following the legal basis for prosecuting former Nazis shifted in 2011 with the milestone conviction of former guard John Demjanjuk.
He had been sentenced to the grounds he functioned as a cog in the Nazi killing machine in the Sobibor camp in occupied Poland, instead of for murders or even atrocities connected to him .
German courts detained Oskar Groening, an accountant in Auschwitz, and Reinhold Hanning, a former SS guard at precisely the exact same camp, for complicity in mass murder.
Both men were detained in the age 94 but expired before they are imprisoned.
Before this month, a former Nazi concentration camp guard, Johann Rehbogen, went to trial at the western town of Muenster accused of complicity in mass murder in the Stutthof camp in occupied Poland.